Bouchon Bakery

Bouchon Bakery - Thomas Keller, Sebastien Rouxel I received this big beautiful book on Tuesday, and I spent at least 2 hours reading it that night, salivating over the luscious photos and trying to decide which recipe I'd try first. The introductions and stories made what could be an intimidating book feel friendly and approachable, and I particularly liked the playful use of stencils and sifted flour (or powdered sugar?) to number steps in the photos. Keller's meticulous attention to detail and the beautiful, fun design elevate this book above the rest of the field. After a few days of browsing, I finally settled on making the Tropeziene, so I made brioche dough (which has to rest overnight) on Friday night and pastry cream on Saturday. The finished pastry was just as lovely and delicious as I imagined and elicited moans of appreciation from my fellow booksellers on Sunday morning. I've already picked up a few new techniques that will carry over to other recipes, and I can hardly wait to take a crack at another recipe.